AI Habitat Data Policy
Last updated: June, 2021
AI Habitat is a comprehensive research initiative and web platform dedicated to advancing research in embodied artificial intelligence. AI Habitat is supported by Facebook, Inc.’s (together, “Facebook,” “us,” “our”) commitment to the scientific advancements for intelligent systems with a physical or virtual embodiment (robots and egocentric personal assistants).
Collection of Information
When you interact with us through the Website or if you download the datasets made available on a third party licensor’s website (“Datasets”), we may receive the following types of information from you:
Information you provide directly
- Download of the Datasets: Some of the Datasets accessible through this Website is provided by, one or more third party licensor(s). For example, the Matterport3D dataset is provided by Matterport, Inc. In order to download such Datasets supported by materials or content from one or more third party licensor(s), such third party licensor(s) may in some instances, ask you to provide your full name, an email address, address, organization/affiliation, and intended usage of the data (i.e. an option from a drop down menu for you to select) before you can download such Datasets. The identity of the third party licensor(s) for each Dataset would be made apparent prior to the download of the relevant Dataset(s).
- Habitat Challenge: Participate in the challenge by registering on the challenge page with our third party challenge service provider, EvalAI, and creating a team. You will be asked to provide an email address, a password, a username (which need not be your real name) and a team name for the leaderboard. Participants will also have to upload docker containers with their agents evaluated on an AWS GPU-enabled instance.
Information collected automatically Depending on the type of device used to visit the Website, we may also collect certain additional information automatically, such as:
- Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins.
- Device operations: information about operations and behaviors performed on the device, such as whether a window is placed in the foreground or background, or mouse movements (which can help distinguish humans from bots), as well as pages visited.
- Identifiers: unique identifiers, device IDs, and other identifiers, and Family Device IDs associated with the same device or account.
- Device signals: Bluetooth signals, and information about nearby Wi-Fi access points, beacons, and cell towers.
- Data from device settings: information you allow us to receive through device settings you turn on, such as access to your GPS location.
- Network and connections: information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address, and connection speed.
How We Use Information
We will use the information described above for the purposes of operating and administering the Website and Challenge. Specifically, we will use the following information for the following purposes:
- Winner evaluation, selection and announcement: The winning team(s) will be notified via the email address submitted as part of their Habitat Challenge entry. The winning team(s) will also be announced on the Website.
- Leaderboard: Once the winners are selected, we will publish on the Website the results of all teams on the leaderboard via EvalAI, our third party challenge service provider. The leaderboard will also be available on EvalAI’s website. EvalAI is an open source platform for evaluating and comparing machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms at scale. The leaderboard will be continuously updated by EvalAI throughout the Habitat Challenge and will list the name of each team and their score.
- Habitat Workshop: We will share the name and email address of the winning team(s) to the organizers of the Embodied AI workshop, who may contact the winner(s) directly for an invitation to give an oral presentation at an upcoming Embodied AI workshop.
In accordance with applicable laws, you may have the right to access, rectify, port and erase your information, as well as the right to restrict and object to certain processing of your information. To exercise such rights in relation to the information you provided to us for the Website, Challenge or other related resources, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from the email address you provided to create your account on the Website.
How We Protect Information
We take measures to help protect information from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. However, no data storage system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure.
We retain information relating to the Website until it is no longer necessary to serve the purposes for which it was collected or to guard against cheating and duplicate entries for the Habitat Challenge. Reasons we may retain some data for longer periods include security, fraud & abuse prevention, record keeping, complying with legal or regulatory requirements and ensuring the continuity of our services.
You must be at least eighteen (18) years old (or over the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence) in order to create an account on the Website and/or participate in the Habitat Challenge. We will delete any information we may have inadvertently received from anyone under that age upon notice.
If you have any questions about this Data Policy or our practices, you can contact us at email@example.com or by mail at:
c/o Facebook, Inc.
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Information we collect and sources of information
Our Data Policy above already describes the information we collect and its sources. This section organizes that information around the personal information categories set forth in the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA):
- Identifiers: This includes for example your real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers. We obtain this information when you provide it to us or otherwise automatically in the course of your interactions with our website.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information: This includes for example information regarding your interactions with our Website. We obtain this information automatically in the course of your interactions with our website.
- Professional or Employment-Related Information: This includes for example your affiliation with an educational institution. We obtain this information directly from you.
How can you exercise your rights provided under the CCPA?
Under the CCPA, California residents have the following rights:
- Right to Know: You have the right to request that we disclose to you the personal information we collect, use, or disclose over the past 12 months, and information about our data practices;
- Right to Request Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete your personal information that we have collected from you;
- Right to Non-Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
- Right to Opt-Out of Sales: We do not sell personal information, so we do not have an opt-out.
In order to protect your information, we may need to verify your identity before processing your request. In some cases, we may need to collect additional information to verify your identity, such as a government issued ID.
Under the CCPA, you may exercise these rights yourself or you may designate an authorized agent to make these requests on your behalf. We may request that your authorized agent have written permission from you to make requests on your behalf and may need to verify your authorized agent’s identity.
To exercise your rights under the CCPA, or if you are an agent authorized to exercise a right under the CCPA, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by mail at the address provided above.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS IN THE EUROPEAN UNION
If you are a user in the European Union, Switzerland or the United Kingdom the following information also applies to you and supplements the information contained above in the Data Policy in relation to your use of our Website. The data controller responsible for the personal data of individuals in the European Union and the United Kingdom is Facebook Ireland Limited.
What is our legal basis for processing data?
We collect, use and share data on the basis of the following:
- Legitimate interests: Our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party, where not outweighed by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. We rely on this legal basis to share information with others, including law enforcement, and to respond to legal requests. The legitimate interests we rely on for this processing are to prevent and address fraud, unauthorized use of the Website, breaches of our terms and policies, or other harmful or illegal activity; to protect ourselves (including our rights, property or products), our users or others, including as part of investigations or regulatory enquiries; or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm.
- Compliance with a legal obligation: We rely on this legal basis for processing data when the law requires it, including, for example, if there is a valid legal request for certain data.
When we process your data as necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests, you have the right to object to, and seek restriction of, our processing. To exercise your rights, you can email email@example.com. In evaluating an objection, we will evaluate several factors, including: reasonable user expectations; the benefits and risks to you and third parties; and other available means to achieve the same purpose that may be less invasive and do not require disproportional effort. Your objection will be upheld and we will cease processing your information, unless the processing is based on compelling legitimate grounds or is needed for legal reasons.
Your rights provided under the GDPR
Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the right to access, rectify and erase your data under certain circumstances. You also have the right to object to and restrict certain processing of your data. Please note that to protect your information, we may need to verify your identity before processing your request. In some cases, we may need to collect additional information to verify your identity, such as a government issued ID. To exercise your rights under the GDPR, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by mail at the address provided below.
If you live in a country or territory listed below (the “European Region” which includes countries in the European Union), the data controller responsible for your information when you use the Website is Facebook Ireland Limited:
Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Réunion, Romania, San Marino, Saint Barthélemy, Saint-Martin, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatican City, and the United Kingdom and its sovereign bases in Cyprus (Akrotiri and Dhekelia).
You can contact Facebook Ireland Limited online or by post at:
c/o Facebook Ireland Limited
4 Grand Canal Square, Grand Canal Harbour
Dublin 2, Ireland
You may also contact DPO Contact Form the Data Protection Officer for Facebook Ireland Limited. In addition, you have the right to lodge a complaint with our lead supervisory authority, the Irish Data Protection Commissioner, or with your local supervisory authority.
If you do not live in one of the countries or territories listed above, the data controller responsible for your information when you use the Website is Facebook, Inc.
If you are residing in Brazil, the data controller responsible for your information is Facebook, Inc. You may contact the Data Protection Officer for Facebook, Inc. and have the right to lodge a complaint with the Brazilian Data Protection Authority by contacting the Data Protection Authority directly.
Changes to this Policy
We may update or modify this Data Policy at any time without prior notice. When we update the Data Policy, we will revise the “Last Updated” date above and post the new Data Policy. We recommend that you review the Data Policy each time you visit the Website to stay informed of our privacy practices. Any changes will be effective when we post the revised policy.
If you have any questions about this Data Policy or our practices, you can contact us by email at email@example.com or by mail at:
c/o Facebook, Inc.
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025